Sunday, February 26, 2012
Do You Have a Small Kitchen?
Consider this - bigger is not always better. Maybe a little kitchen organizing would help.
I helped a friend organize her storage container cabinet this morning. It is now able to hold 50% more than it did before, is no longer a site for sore eyes and houses more containers that perfectly fit her storage needs.
Check out the before and after pictures as well as the following simple how-to guide.
1. Take everything out of the cabinet.
2. Group like items with like items, i.e. 3-cup round containers with 3-cup round containers.
3. Donate all of your spare parts (tops with missing bottoms and vice versa) as well as containers that you have not used in the last year or so.
4. Purchase extra containers if you need them. My friend purchased six 2-cup containers because the 3-cup ones that she had were always too large to suit her everyday needs.
5. If you are keeping additional storage items in other cabinets because of a lack of space, transfer them now to the newly organized. After all, you've got the space!
Total project cost: less than $6 for six new 2-cup containers.
What's your biggest kitchen challenge?
Laura Bruzas is the founder of Healthy Dining Chicago, an all-volunteer community effort launched in 2003 to offer practical information and valuable resources to help time-pressed, health-minded consumers make informed choices that are kind to Mother Earth and all of her inhabitants.